Posted: January 3, 2014
Representatives for the Missouri Highway Patrol (MPH) have recently reported that no fatal car accidents occurred in the state of Missouri over the New Year’s holiday, which officially was set as the period between 6 pm Tuesday December 31st through 11:59 pm Wednesday January 1st. Although representatives caution that this initial report could change if anyone who was involved in an injury-related accident ends up dying of their injuries, so far, the following has been the reported traffic incidents for New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day:
- 116 motor vehicle accidents, which marks a sharp decrease from the 486 motor vehicle accidents that resulted in 12 deaths over the 2012-2013 New Year’s holiday
- 42 injuries from these traffic accidents, which also marks a sharp decline from the previous year in which there were a reported 147 injuries from traffic incidents
- 47 driving while intoxicated incidents, which also marks a significant decrease from the previous year when officers made 124 DWI arrests.
Officials were quick to point out that these reported traffic incidents reflected statewide information – not just incidents that the MPH responded to on the state’s highways.
Reasons for Decline in New Year’s Holiday Traffic Accidents
While officials have not specified exactly why there was such a dramatic decrease in the number of traffic incidents reported for the 2013-2014 New Year’s holiday (when compared with the previous year), some have speculated that a combination of the following may have been at play:
- More people celebrating the holiday took cabs, had designated drivers or found other ways to travel without having to drive themselves.
- The cold weather may have decreased the number of commuting partygoers out and about on the New Year’s Eve holiday.
- There may have been less patrolling officers over New Year’s Eve due to recent budget cuts with the MPH.
St. Louis Car Accident Lawyers
If you have sustained injuries or have lost a loved one in any type of motor vehicle accident, contact the St. Louis car accident lawyers at Brown & Brown Attorneys at Law. We have a long-standing commitment to serving our clients, and we are experienced at aggressively defending our clients’ rights in any legal setting. Our goal is to preserve and promote the rights and welfare of individuals and families who have suffered injuries and losses and/or who need help navigating through the complexities of the court system.
Since 1993, our lawyers have been successfully representing our clients in various areas of personal injury litigation, including car accident lawsuits. Our unwavering dedication to the pursuit of justice in every case we handle means that we will work relentlessly to help our clients achieve the best possible outcomes to their cases. One of our primary goals is to help accident victims secure the maximum possible compensation for their injuries and losses so they can focus on their recovery and moving on with their lives.
For a free initial consult, email us using the form at the right-hand side of the screen and/or to call us at 573-333-3333 for our Missouri office or at 618-888-8888 for our Illinois office.