For people over the age of 65 years old, falling down is the number one cause of both fatal and nonfatal injuries (according to the CDC).
Additionally, the CDC has reported that, when it comes to falling accidents among the elderly:
- About 1 in every 3 elderly adults experiences a falling accident annually. Less than half of these people, however, see a doctor or discuss the accident with a physician.
- About 2.5 million elderly adults sought emergency room treatment for nonfatal falling injuries last year. About 50 percent of these individuals had to be hospitalized for further treatments.
- Although falling can cause a range of potential injuries, the most serious are bone fractures, particularly those impacting elderly people’s hips and/or backs.
How Negligence Can Cause Falling Accidents
Any number of factors can increase the risk that an elderly adult will fall down and suffer moderate to serious injuries. When negligence is a factor, however, common causes of elderly adults’ falling accidents include (but are not limited to):
- Slippery or wet flooring
- Uneven or broken flooring
- Poor lighting in walkways
- Items/clutter left in walkways
- Poorly maintained railings or stairwells.
While such unsafe premises can be found in public settings (such as in workplaces, retail stores, restaurants, etc.), they can also be present in private settings (such as private nursing homes or even residences).
How to Prevent Falling Accidents among the Elderly
To minimize the risk of a falling accident for elderly adults:
- Make sure they have an up-to-date eye glasses prescription and shoes that fit property.
- Add slip-guards to risky places in the home (such as in and around showers/bathtubs, for example).
- Consider getting elderly adults walking or mobility aides, if necessary.
- Consult a doctor to get adults’ medications check (and to see if dizziness or loss of balance may be a side effective of the medications).
Contact a St Louis Personal Injury Lawyer at Brown & Brown Attorneys at Law
If you or someone you love has suffered any injury as a result of someone else’s negligence, contact a St Louis personal injury lawyer at Brown & Brown Attorneys at Law. We have a long-standing commitment to serving our clients, and we are experienced at aggressively defending our clients’ rights in any legal setting. Our goal is to preserve and promote the rights and welfare of individuals and families who have suffered injuries and losses and/or who need help navigating the complexities of the legal system.
To learn more about how we can help you, attend a free, no obligations initial consult with us. You can set up this meeting by calling our firm at 573-333-3333 for our Missouri office or at 618-888-8888 for our Illinois office. You can also email us using the form at the right-hand side of the screen.