Electrocutions occur when some type of electric shock is sent through the body. An electrocution involving a small shock can disrupt normal heartbeat, while in the worst cases when larger currents are involved, an electrocution can cause severe burns, extensive damage to the body’s cells and/or the heart to stop beating altogether.
While the severity of an electrocution will depend on the type of current, how long that current passed through the body and the amount of voltage associated with that current, any electrocution can injure a person, causing him to require emergency medical care.
Causes of Electrocution Injuries
Although a person can be electrocuted due to his own carelessness, in many cases, the negligence or recklessness of another individual or party plays a role in causing electrocution injuries. Some of the specific causes of electrocution include (but are not limited to):
- Faulty or old wiring
- Exposed electrical sources
- Electrical arcs from power lines
- Contact with a power line due to, for example, a car accident or a construction accident
- Defective electrical products (including power tools, microwaves, hair dryers, etc.)
When negligence is involved in causing an electrocution injury, the injured person:
- Will likely have a personal injury claim against the negligent party
- Can secure compensation for his or her injuries and losses by following through with a personal injury lawsuit
- Should consult with the trusted injury lawyers at Brown & Brown, LLP to learn more about their legal rights and entitlements
Reach out to our Electrocution Injury Attorneys Today!
If you have been electrocuted and believe that another party’s negligence may have been to blame, call us at the 3s for a free consultation in the St. Louis area: 314-333-3333 or 573-333-3333. If you live in Southern Illinois, you can also reach our attorneys by dialing the 8s for our Fairview Heights office: 618-888-8888. You can also fill out the appointment request form on this page, and our staff will assist you with setting up your consult. Our experience legal team looks forward to serving you!