Posted: May 25, 2015
Through the end of May, Missouri law enforcement officials will be enforcing the national Click It or Ticket campaign, citing motorists who fail to wear their seatbelts.
As the Missouri Department of Transportation (MoDOT) press release for this campaign has noted, “even with all the advancements in automobile safety and education on the importance of seatbelt use, Missouri’s seatbelt use remains relatively unchanged at 79 percent and consistently below the national average of 87 percent.”
Accident Statistics Point to Importance of Seatbelt Use
Wearing a seatbelt is the best defense people have in the event of an auto collision, MoDOT has pointed outed. To underscore this point, here are notable statistics MoDOT (and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) has revealed:
- As of May 2015, there have been 256 fatalities on Missouri roads, and 63 percent of these deaths impacted people who were not wearing their seatbelts at the time of the collision.
- On a national level, about half of the people killed in motor vehicle accidents in 2013 were not wearing seatbelts at the time of the collision.
- In 2013, more than 12,500 lives were saved due to seatbelt use.
- From 2009 through 2013, seatbelt use is estimated to have saved nearly 62,500 lives.
- Wearing seatbelts can reduce the risk of serious injuries and death by about 45 percent in the event of a collision.
Noting the importance of this seatbelt use campaign, Bill Whitfield, the chair of the executive committee of the Missouri Coalition for Roadway Safety, stated, “you are gambling with your life each time you drive without a safety belt… wearing a safety belt can save your life.”
These thoughts have been echoed by U.S. Secretary of Transportation Anthony Foxx, who has stated:
It’s simple: seat belts save lives. Thousands of Americans are alive today because they were wearing theirs during a crash… But thousands more would be with us if they had buckled up, and we will continue to urge every driver and passenger to use a seat belt.
St Louis Car Accident Lawyers at Brown & Brown Attorneys at Law
Have you been hurt in a car accident or any type of traffic accident? If so, it is time to contact the St Louis car accident lawyers at Brown & Brown Attorneys at Law. We have a long-standing commitment to serving our clients, and we are experienced at aggressively defending our clients’ rights in any legal setting. Our goal is to preserve and promote the rights and welfare of individuals and families who have suffered injuries and losses and/or who need help navigating through the complexities of the court system.
To learn more about how we can help you, attend a free, no obligations initial consult with a St Louis car accident lawyer at Brown & Brown. You can schedule this meeting by calling us at 573-333-3333 for our Missouri office or at 618-888-8888 for our Illinois office. You can also email us using the form at the right-hand side of the screen.