Underride truck accidents are crashes in which passenger vehicles slide underneath trucks – either from behind or from the side – and become lodged beneath trucks. These collisions are among the most serious types of truck accidents that can take place, as they have a high likelihood of shearing off the top of a passenger vehicle and killing those inside of that smaller vehicle. In fact, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) estimates that about 25 percent of all truck accident fatalities are caused by underride truck accidents.
Some of the factors that can increase the risk that underride truck accidents will occur include:
- The absence of guardrails on the back or sides of a truck
- Poorly designed guardrails on trucks that can buckle upon impact with a passenger vehicle
- The absence of reflectors on these guardrails (or on the back and sides of a truck)
- Excessive dirt on safety reflectors, which could obscure their visibility to other drivers
- Brake failure on a passenger vehicle, which could cause that vehicle to slam into the back of and underneath a truck.
St. Louis Truck Accident Lawyers
If you have been injured in an underride truck accident, contact the St. Louis truck accident lawyers at Brown & Brown Attorneys at Law. We have a long-standing commitment to serving our clients, and we are experienced at aggressively defending our clients’ rights in any legal setting. Our goal is to preserve and promote the rights and welfare of individuals and families who have suffered injuries and losses and/or who need help navigating through the complexities of the court system.
Since 1993, our lawyers have been successfully representing our clients in various areas of personal injury litigation, including truck accident lawsuits. Our unwavering dedication to the pursuit of justice in every case we handle means that we will work relentlessly to help our clients achieve the best possible outcomes to their cases. For a free initial consult, email us using the form at the right-hand side of the screen and/or to call us at 573-333-3333 for our Missouri office or at 618-888-8888 for our Illinois office.