Posted: April 30, 2014
In both Illinois and Missouri (as with every other states in the U.S. except for New Hampshire), having auto insurance coverage is compulsory. This means that all motorists are required to carry some minimum amount of liability insurance in order to register their vehicles and legally drive within the state. Despite these legal obligations, however, many people make the decision to not pay for this auto insurance coverage, which can create a big problem for others if they are hit by uninsured (or underinsured) motorists.
In fact, according to research conducted and published by the Insurance Research Council:
- About 1 in every 7 drivers (or approximately 13.8 percent of all motorists) in the U.S. is uninsured.
- In Illinois, approximately 15 percent or 3 in every 20 motorists do not have any or enough auto insurance coverage.
- In Missouri, about 14 percent of all drivers lack any or sufficient auto insurance coverage.
- Mississippi tops the list for the state with the most uninsured/underinsured drivers, with about 28 percent of all motorists within that state not having any or sufficient auto insurance coverage.
- When surveyed, most of the drivers without auto insurance coverage explained that they intentionally did not pay for this insurance because the costs of having it were too prohibitive (i.e., it was too expensive to maintain this coverage). A few other commonly cited reasons for not having auto insurance coverage included not having a job or car, not having a car that was in working condition and not driving enough to need coverage.
While these statistics regarding uninsured/underinsured motorists may be alarming, it’s important to point out that:
- Even if these drivers cause car accidents, others injured in these collisions can obtain compensation for their injuries and losses as long as they have uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage as part of their own auto insurance coverage.
- The St. Louis car accident lawyers at Brown & Brown are skilled at handling these claims, dealing with insurers and helping accident victims obtain compensation when they have been injured in accidents caused by uninsured drivers.
St. Louis Car Accident Lawyers at Brown & Brown Attorneys at Law
If you have been injured in a traffic accident caused by an insured or underinsured motorist, the St. Louis car accident lawyers at Brown & Brown Attorneys at Law are ready to get to work to help you obtain compensation. We have a long-standing commitment to serving our clients, and we are experienced at aggressively advocating our clients’ rights in any legal setting. Our goal is to preserve and promote the rights and welfare of individuals and families who have suffered injuries and losses and/or who need help standing up to insurers.
Since 1993, our lawyers have been successfully representing our clients in various areas of personal injury litigation, including car accident lawsuits. Our unwavering dedication to the pursuit of justice in every case we handle means that we will work relentlessly to help our clients achieve the best possible outcomes to their cases. One of our primary goals is to help accident victims secure the highest possible settlements for their injuries and losses so they can focus on their recovery and their future.
Let’s Discuss Your Rights and Case
For a free initial consult, email us using the form at the right-hand side of the screen and/or call us at 573-333-3333 for our Missouri office or at 618-888-8888 for our Illinois office.