Following up to Distracted Driving and Motor Vehicle Accidents (Part 1), the following is some further eye-opening information regarding the issue of distracted driving and how it plays a role in causing serious motor vehicle accidents. While Part 1 of this blog discussed the nature of the problem, here in Part 2, we will take a closer look at some distracted driving statistics (as compiled by various federal agencies and non-profit organizations) to clarify the pervasiveness of the problem.
The following are the most up-to-date distracted driving statistics, as compiled by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the National Safety Council and various other organizations:
- So far in 2013, there have been more than 658, 200 distracted driving-related motor vehicle accidents in the U.S., with one of these accidents occurring approximately every 30 seconds.
- At any given moment in the U.S., more than 10 percent of all drivers are using a hand-held cellphone while driving.
- More than 20 percent of all motor vehicle accidents in the U.S. are at least in part caused by distracted driving.
- Drivers younger than 20 years old are the most likely to be involved in distracted driving-related motor vehicle accidents. In fact, an estimated 11 percent of drivers younger than 20 who are involved in fatal motor vehicle accidents were reportedly distracted at the time of the accident.
- Hands-free devices, like voice-activated messaging systems, have been found to be just as dangerous as hand-held devices, as they still take a driver’s mental concentration off of the road and cause him to miss key visual cues (like traffic signals, etc.).
St. Louis Motor Vehicle Accident Lawyers
If you have been involved in a motor vehicle accident and are currently in need of a Missouri or Illinois personal injury lawyer, contact the St. Louis motor vehicle accident lawyers at Brown & Brown Attorneys at Law. We have a long-standing commitment to serving our clients, and we are experienced at aggressively defending our clients’ rights in any legal setting. Our goal is to preserve and promote the rights and welfare of individuals and families who have suffered injuries and losses and/or who need help navigating through the complexities of the court system.
Since 1993, our lawyers have been successfully representing our clients in various areas of personal injury litigation, including motor vehicle accident lawsuits. Our unwavering dedication to the pursuit of justice in every case we handle means that we will work relentlessly to help our clients achieve the best possible outcomes to their cases. For a free initial consult, email us using the form at the right-hand side of the screen and/or to call us at 573-333-3333 for our Missouri office or at 618-888-8888 for our Illinois office.