Who Pays in a Car Accident Lawsuit?

Damages in a car accident lawsuit may include:

  • Medical expenses
  • Lost wages
  • Property damage
  • Forced lifestyle changes
  • Physical and emotional pain and suffering

Depending on the nature of your accident and the extent of your injury, these damages may be sought in a number of ways.

Infographic: Damages in a Car Accident

Your Own Insurance Provider

If the accident is minor, if you played a role in causing it, or if your accident involved an uninsured motorist, you may be dealing with your own insurance company for compensation. Much of the compensation you are able to secure from your own insurance company will be dependent on your policy limits and other specifics of your plan.

Do You Need a Lawyer?

Yes. You may be surprised when the insurance company you have dutifully paid declines to provide fair compensation. It’s a good idea to discuss your case with an attorney even if you’re dealing with your own insurance company.

Someone Else’s Insurance Provider

When you are injured in an accident caused by someone else, their insurance provider may foot the bill. However, as with your own insurance, these policies have limits. Even with legal action, there is a limit to how much an insurance company can be compelled to pay on individual claims.

Do You Need a Lawyer?

Absolutely yes. Insurance companies are for-profit corporations. They are beholden to boards of directors. They have shareholders to appease. Their focus is on growth. Paying large settlements to victims of serious injury does not fit within that particular business plan. If you do not have an attorney on your side, it is unlikely that you will receive even a small fraction of what your injury is truly worth.

Other Options

In some cases, you can seek compensation through the assets of the driver or drivers who caused the accident. This relies on that party having sufficient resources to cover a settlement and is something that can be explored with your attorney as needed or as appropriate.

Can Wages be Garnished for a Car Accident?

Yes. If the party responsible for the accident has neither the insurance coverage nor the personal resources to cover a verdict or settlement, wages can be garnished through order of the court.

Contact Us for Help

If you have been injured in a car accident, Brown & Brown is here to help. Call our St. Louis office at 314-333-3333 or our Illinois office at 618-888-8888 for a free case review. And remember, if you can’t come to us, we’ll come to you.

How Can We Help You?

Send us a message below or call today to schedule a FREE case evaluation.
1 Memorial Dr. 11th Floor
St. Louis, MO 63102

Monday - Friday: 8:00am-5:30pm
Phone Calls
You can call us 24 hours a day, 7 days a week

* All required fields. Please only include non-medical responses.

Accessibility Toolbar