While you may take every precaution to keep your children safe, you may sometimes inadvertently expose them to dangerous or defectively designed products – some of which may be intended for children – that can cause them to become seriously injured. In an effort to minimize such risks to children, the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC):
- Constantly monitors various products on the market.
- Collects injury reports to track which products may be especially dangerous to children and the public in general.
- Issues national alerts regarding dangerous products when, after conducting its own investigations or receiving an excessive number of injury reports, it deems a product to be a danger.
The following are the first 2 of the 10 most dangerous products for children, according to experts at the CPSC:
- Children’s jewelry made of metal – In the past, children’s jewelry that was made of metal would contain toxic metals, like lead or cadmium, and the danger to children would arise when kids would put the jewelry in their mouths. While the practice of using these toxic materials in children’s jewelry has dramatically decreased, it still does occur, and old jewelry with these metals may still be in circulation.In fact, the CPSC reports that it has recalled approximately 180 million pieces of metal children’s jewelry from 2004 through 2009.
- Drop-side cribs – These cribs are dangerous because the sides of them can fall unpredictably on children’s heads and cause serious, even life-threatening injuries. Despite the fact that the CPSC has officially banned the sale of drop-side cribs in the U.S. since 2011, they may still be found at some second-hand stores or garage sales, and parents should avoid purchasing them.In fact, it’s a good idea to consult the CPSC prior to purchasing any crib to see if that crib has been recalled or reported to cause injuries to children.
For the rest of the items on the CPSC’s list of the most dangerous products for kids, be sure to check out the upcoming Parts 2 and 3 of this blog.
St. Louis Product Liability Lawyers
If your child has been injured by a dangerous or defective product, contact the St. Louis product liability lawyers at Brown & Brown Attorneys at Law. We have a long-standing commitment to serving our clients, and we are experienced at aggressively defending our clients’ rights in any legal setting. Our goal is to preserve and promote the rights and welfare of individuals and families who have suffered injuries and losses and/or who need help navigating through the complexities of the court system.
Since 1993, our lawyers have been successfully representing our clients in various areas of personal injury litigation, including product liability lawsuits. Our unwavering dedication to the pursuit of justice in every case we handle means that we will work relentlessly to help our clients achieve the best possible outcomes to their cases. One of our primary goals is to help accident victims secure the maximum possible compensation for their injuries and losses so they can focus on their recovery and moving on with their lives.