In continuation of Teen Driver Accident Facts and Statistics (Part 1), the following presents some additional statistics related to fatal car accidents caused by teen drivers. These teen driver accident statistics have been put together by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration:
- Peer pressure is a contributing factor to reckless driving behavior for teen drivers, as teen drivers are about 2.5 times more likely to drive recklessly when they have one other teenager riding in the car. When the number of other teen occupants in the car increases, so too does the risk of reckless driving behavior on the part of the teen driver.
- In 2011 (the most recent year for which statistics are available), more than 500 people were killed as a result of teen drivers being drunk (It’s important to note that every state in the U.S. has Zero Tolerance Laws for underage drinking and driving; this means that NO amount of alcohol should be in teen drivers’ systems).
- Fatal car accidents involving teen drivers occur most often between the hours of 3 pm and 8 pm.
The NHTSA’s “5 to Drive” Campaign
In an effort to reduce the number of car accidents involving (or caused by) teen drivers, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has developed the “5 to Drive” campaign. This campaign, which was first introduced in October 2013, encourages parents to talk to their teen drivers about and discourage the following reckless driving practices:
- Talking or texting on cellphones while driving
- Not wearing seatbelts
- Drinking and driving
- Not driving with a group of teenagers in the vehicle.
According to the U.S. Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx, the goal of this campaign is to “prevent a tragedy before it happens.”
St. Louis Car Accident Lawyers
If you have been injured in a car accident that may have been caused by some other driver’s reckless behavior, contact the St. Louis car accident lawyers at Brown & Brown Attorneys at Law. We have a long-standing commitment to serving our clients, and we are experienced at aggressively defending our clients’ rights in any legal setting. Our goal is to preserve and promote the rights and welfare of individuals and families who have suffered injuries and losses and/or who need help navigating through the complexities of the court system.
Since 1993, our lawyers have been successfully representing our clients in various areas of personal injury litigation, including car accident lawsuits. Our unwavering dedication to the pursuit of justice in every case we handle means that we will work relentlessly to help our clients achieve the best possible outcomes to their cases. One of our primary goals is to help accident victims secure the maximum possible compensation for their injuries and losses so they can focus on their recovery and moving on with their lives.