More than 35 percent of all motor vehicle accidents occur at intersections, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). In fact, the NHTSA reports that:
- While only about 3 percent of intersection car accidents are primarily caused by poor weather conditions and/or vehicle equipment failures, more than 96 percent can primarily be attributed to some type of human negligence or error.
- The most common type of human negligence that contributes to intersection car accidents is a lack of proper surveillance of the vehicle’s surroundings; specifically, this factor reportedly plays a role in causing more than 44 percent of all intersection car accidents.
- Some of other prominent examples of human error that commonly contribute to intersection car accidents include false assumptions of other drivers’ actions, obstructed views of an intersection or oncoming traffic, illegal maneuvers and driver distraction caused by objects within the vehicle.
- While male drivers of any age are the most likely to make illegal maneuvers that cause intersection car accidents, drivers of either gender who are older than 55 years old are most likely to misjudge other drivers’ actions and/or the timing of making certain maneuvers (like left-hand turns) at intersections.
- Drivers who are 24 years old and younger are most commonly involved in intersection car accidents that also involve distracted driving (with the use of cellphones while driving being a specific problem) and/or aggressive driving.
When negligence and/or human error plays a role in causing intersection car accidents – even if the role is small, accident victims can be compensated for their medical bills, lost wages, property damage and other losses by pursuing a car accident lawsuit.
Look for our upcoming second part of this blog for more information regarding intersection car accidents.
St. Louis Car Accident Lawyers
Have you or a loved one been injured in an intersection car accident – or in any type of motor vehicle accident? If so, contact the St. Louis car accident lawyers at Brown & Brown Attorneys at Law. We have a long-standing commitment to serving our clients, and we are experienced at aggressively defending our clients’ rights in any legal setting. Our goal is to preserve and promote the rights and welfare of individuals and families who have suffered injuries and losses and/or who need help navigating through the complexities of the court system.
Since 1993, our lawyers have been successfully representing our clients in various areas of personal injury litigation, including car accident lawsuits. Our unwavering dedication to the pursuit of justice in every case we handle means that we will work relentlessly to help our clients achieve the best possible outcomes to their cases. One of our primary goals is to help accident victims secure the maximum possible compensation for their injuries and losses so they can focus on their recovery and moving on with their lives.