Tragically, nursing home abuse and neglect occurs every day in facilities across the U.S. and is responsible the deaths of thousands of elderly residents each year. While some instances of nursing home abuse may be caused by a particularly sadistic staff member who intentionally abuses, assaults or otherwise injures an elderly patient, in other cases, such abuse can occur due to:
- An inadequate number of nursing home staff members to look after the residents
- Staff members not being adequately trained on how to care for nursing home residents
- Nursing homes not having sufficient medical supplies or other resources to properly care for their residents.
Currently, about 1.6 million people live in the approximately 17,000 nursing homes in the U.S. (of these, about 11,000 are for-profit nursing homes). With the baby boomer generation entering its golden years, the number of residents in nursing homes is likely to increase dramatically in the coming years, making it more important than ever to:
- Analyze the incidence of nursing home abuse and neglect in homes throughout the U.S.
- Pinpoint the causes of such abuse and take action to stop it in order to improve the quality of life for nursing home patients – and, ultimately, to prolong their lives.
The following nursing home abuse and neglect statistics have been compiled and presented by various public and private organizations (including the National Center on Elder Abuse, the Special Investigations Division of the House Government Reform Committee, etc.):
- Between 8 and 10 percent of nursing home residents have been the victims of some type of abuse within the past year.
- Female patients are more likely to be victimized by nursing home abuse than male residents
- The older a nursing home resident is, the more likely he or she is to be abused.
For more nursing home abuse statistics, see the upcoming Part 2 of this blog.
St. Louis Nursing Home Abuse Lawyers
If you believe that your elderly loved one may have been injured or killed as a result of some type of nursing home abuse or neglect, contact the St. Louis nursing home abuse lawyers at Brown & Brown Attorneys at Law. We have a long-standing commitment to serving our clients, and we are experienced at aggressively defending our clients’ rights in any legal setting. Our goal is to preserve and promote the rights and welfare of individuals and families who have suffered injuries and losses and/or who need help navigating through the complexities of the court system.
Since 1993, our lawyers have been successfully representing our clients in various areas of personal injury lawsuits, including nursing home abuse lawsuits. Our unwavering dedication to the pursuit of justice in every case we handle means that we will work relentlessly to help our clients achieve the best possible outcomes to their cases. One of our primary goals is to help accident victims secure the maximum possible compensation for their injuries and losses so they can focus on their recovery and moving on with their lives. For a free initial consult, email us using the form at the right-hand side of the screen and/or to call us at 573-333-3333 for our Missouri office or at 618-888-8888 for our Illinois office.