The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has recently issued a national warning regarding the potential dangers associated with the use of oral and rectal over-the-counter (OTC) saline laxatives (which may also be referred to sodium phosphate laxatives). Specifically, the FDA has warned that:
- To date, the agency has received reports of 13 deaths and more than 50 severe injuries allegedly caused by the use of saline laxatives (however, officials have stated that there are likely far more injuries related to OTC laxatives, as experts estimate that only about 10 percent of affected individuals end up reporting their injuries to the proper authorities).
- The people with the greatest risk of developing serious, potentially life-threatening injuries when taking OTC saline laxatives include children younger than 5 years old and/or individuals with kidney impairments.
- People should only use OTC saline laxatives as directed and should not take multiple doses if the first dose does not have the desired effects.
As part of this warning, the FDA has also ordered the manufacturers of these drugs to include a new warning on the medications’ labeling to warn consumers about the risks associated with these laxatives.
Indications of OTC Saline Laxative Complications
Consumers who have used or who plan on using OTC saline laxatives are advised by FDA officials to be aware of the symptoms of potentially serious complications so that they know when to seek emergency medical care. Among the indications that a person may have developed serious laxative complications include (but are not limited to):
- Dry mouth, thirst and other signs of dehydration
- Reduced urination
- Dizziness and lightheadedness (particularly when standing or changing physical positions)
- Inflammation of the extremities.
St. Louis Dangerous Drug Lawyers
If you have developed serious health complications after taking an OTC saline laxative or any potentially dangerous drug, contact the St. Louis dangerous drug lawyers at Brown & Brown Attorneys at Law. We have a long-standing commitment to serving our clients, and we are experienced at aggressively defending our clients’ rights in any legal setting. Our goal is to preserve and promote the rights and welfare of individuals and families who have suffered injuries and losses and/or who need help navigating through the complexities of the court system.
Since 1993, our lawyers have been successfully representing our clients in various areas of personal injury litigation, including dangerous drug and product liability lawsuits. Our unwavering dedication to the pursuit of justice in every case we handle means that we will work relentlessly to help our clients achieve the best possible outcomes to their cases. One of our primary goals is to help accident victims secure the maximum possible compensation for their injuries and losses so they can focus on their recovery and moving on with their lives.