Facing DUI charges can be incredibly stressful, particularly when considering the possibility that a conviction can result in a number of serious and some long-term penalties. In addition to potentially having to go to jail, individuals convicted of DUIs may also have to:
- Pay expensive fines
- Serve extensive community service
- Attend alcohol education classes
- Have an ignition interlock device installed on their vehicle
- Suffer damage to their personal and professional reputation.
Given such DUI penalties, it’s crucial that the accused has a strong defense to these charges. While the best DUI defense will depend on the circumstances of a given case, when DUI charges have been filed for alleged drug intoxication, it may be easier for a skilled DUI defense lawyer to fight the charges. This is because:
- There are no legal limits in place to establish what amount of drugs in a person’s system constitutes intoxication. In other words, while a 0.08 blood alcohol content is legally defined as the limit at which a person is intoxicated, there is no corresponding limit for drugs.
- Different people have different tolerance levels for drugs, and different drugs (including illegal, prescription and over-the-counter drugs) effect people in different ways.
- Police officers are typically not trained to be drug recognition experts, which means that their observations regarding a person’s alleged intoxicated behavior can be disputed (or attributed to other factors, like medical conditions) when arguing against DUI charges.For example, if an officer tries to base his opinion of a person’s alleged drug intoxication on factors like a person’s blood shot eyes, a defense lawyer may be able to argue that the red eyes could, instead, be attributable to that individual’s allergic reaction to some stimulus.
St. Louis DUI Defense Lawyers
If you have been charged with a DUI in Missouri or Illinois, contact the St. Louis DUI defense lawyers at Brown & Brown Attorneys at Law to get your defense started as soon as possible. We have a long-standing commitment to serving our clients, and we are experienced at aggressively defending our clients’ rights in any legal setting. Our goal is to preserve and promote the rights and welfare of individuals and families who need help navigating through the complexities of the court system.
Since 1993, our lawyers have been successfully representing our clients in various areas of cases, including in DUI criminal cases. Our unwavering dedication to the pursuit of justice in every case we handle means that we will work relentlessly to help our clients achieve the best possible outcomes to their cases. One of our primary goals is to help the accused build the strongest possible defense and, when possible, get the charges against them reduced or potentially dropped entirely so they can focus on moving on with their lives. For a free initial consult, email us using the form at the right-hand side of the screen and/or to call us at 573-333-3333 for our Missouri office or at 618-888-8888 for our Illinois office.