Injury and Accident Attorneys Serving St. Louis, Nearby Missouri, and Nearby Illinois
Motor vehicle accidents are the leading cause of death for individuals between the ages of 5 and 35 years old, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). While some of these fatal car accidents may be caused by unforeseeable factors, such as adverse weather conditions, in many cases deadly crashes are caused by preventable errors, negligence, or recklessness on behalf of another driver or some other party. If you have experienced the loss of a loved one due to a car accident, Brown & Brown Attorneys at Law are here to help you determine if you’re eligible for some monetary compensation for your loss.
Some specific examples of negligence and/or recklessness that can result in fatal car accidents include:
- Driver intoxication, including drunk driving or driving under the influence of prescription, over-the-counter, or illegal drugs
- Driver fatigue, which has been shown in some studies to be as dangerous as driver intoxication
- Driver distraction, such as operating cell phones or GPS systems when driving
- Poor roadway conditions, in which case the city, county, or other entity responsible for maintaining safe roadways would be the negligent party
- Vehicle equipment problems, such as brake system or airbag failures, in which case the vehicle manufacturer would be the negligent party
Damages in Fatal Accident Cases
When any of these factors contribute to a car accident that results in death, the family of the victim may be entitled to compensation for their:
- Loved one’s medical bills
- Loved one’s funeral and burial costs
- Mental anguish and suffering
It’s important to speak with an attorney if you think you may have the basis for a wrongful death claim. An attorney can make sure that the correct course of action is taken and gather evidence that will prove to be vital in your case.
What should I do if a loved one dies in a car accident?
If a loved one of yours dies in a car accident, you have some legal options that you can exercise. It can be difficult to deal with the loss of a loved one from a fatal car accident, and the added stress of dealing with the legalities of the issue doesn’t help at all. Speaking with an attorney is a great way to ensure that the situation is handled properly. If your loved one has passed away due to the negligence of someone else, an attorney can help you get properly compensated for your grief and loss. Filing a lawsuit is extremely confusing and overwhelming if you don’t know how to navigate the legal system. An attorney can guide you through the legal process to make sure that no page is left unturned.
What are the common causes of fatal car accidents?
Fatal car accidents happen every single day, and the reasons that they occur are vast. A lot of the time, these fatal car accidents are the result of reckless driving. Drunk driving or driving under the influence, driver fatigue, texting on the cell phone, and failing to obey traffic signs are all prevalent reasons that fatal car accidents occur.
What is the basis for a wrongful death lawsuit following a fatal car accident?
Once filing a wrongful death lawsuit the plaintiff must prove the following:
- Duty of Care: you must be able to prove that the person had a duty as the driver to follow traffic signs and to drive with care.
- Negligence: you must be able to prove that the defendant was negligent of his duty.
- Negligence caused death: you must be able to prove that, because of the negligence, the death occurred.
We’re Here To Help
Although no amount of money can ever make up for the devastating loss of a loved one, pursuing a wrongful death lawsuit can help a victim’s family secure the compensation they need to help them try to get through this difficult time. Schedule a free consultation with Brown & Brown, LLP if you lost a loved one in a crash caused by another driver's carelessness.
Speak to one of our attorneys in St. Louis by dialing the 3s: 314-333-3333 or 573-333-3333. Call the 8s if you live in Southern Illinois and are looking for an attorney in or around Illinois, at 618-888-8888 to contact attorney Dan Brown today.