You expect your insurance policies to be your safety net after you may be injured, are in an accident or suffer some other type of loss. Unfortunately, insurance companies may not be there for you in your time of need; they can have their own profits prioritized over your well-being and their contract with you.
When insurance companies fail to live up to their side of the contract and pay out on legitimate claims against active insurance policies, they can be acting in bad faith. Policyholders can sue these companies to force them to pay out the compensation to which the insured individuals are entitled.
Some specific types of disputes that can involve insurance bad faith cases against may include claims that the insurance company:
- Flat out denied payment on a legitimate claim
- Canceled an insurance policy when a claim was made against it (an unethical act known as post-claim underwriting)
- Paid out only a fraction of what should have been paid on a legitimate claim
- Significantly delayed payments on a claim in an attempt to get a policyholder to settle his case as quickly as possible
Experience with Multiple Policy Disputes
At Brown & Brown, LLP, our insurance dispute lawyers understand how insurance companies operate and how they may try to avoid paying legitimate claims. We have a proven track record of successfully handling various types of insurance disputes, including those that involve:
- Car insurance policies
- Homeowners insurance policies
- Health insurance policies
- Life insurance policies
- Disability insurance policies
- Commercial general liability policies (for businesses)
If you are currently embattled in a dispute with your insurance company and need an insurance bad faith lawyer, we encourage you to call us at 573-333-3333 or 314-333-3333 for our Missouri office or at 618-888-8888 for our Illinois office. We offer free consultations.