Continuing from Workers’ Compensation Fraud (Pt. 1), here we will take a closer look at the specific criminal charges and penalties that can be handed down when people and/or companies commit workers’ compensation fraud. It’s important to point out that:
- While many cases of workers’ compensation fraud are committed by parties trying to fraudulently profit from the system, in some cases, people may accidentally commit this type of fraud because they aren’t experienced with submitting these claims.
- The St. Louis workers’ compensation lawyers at Brown & Brown are here for injured workers, are ready to defend their rights to benefits and can help them get the full amount of benefits to which they are entitled the first time they submit a claim.
Missouri Workers’ Compensation Fraud Charges and Penalties
According to Missouri law regarding workers’ compensation fraud (Section 287.128, RSMo), workers’ compensation fraud may be either a:
- Class A misdemeanor, which will typically be the case when a person has conspired to commit workers’ comp fraud and/or knowingly submitted a fraudulent workers’ comp claim. Upon conviction, the penalties associated with these charges can include up to $10,000 in fines or double the amount of money fraudulently taken (whichever is greater).
- Class D felony, which will generally be the case when a person has allegedly falsified documents regarding having workers’ compensation insurance coverage. If convicted of these charges, a person can be fined as much as $10,000 or up to double the amount of money fraudulently taken (whichever is greater).
- Class C felony, which will be the case when a person commits this type of fraud after already having been convicted of committing workers’ compensation fraud
Don’t miss the final installment of this blog for a closer look at how workers’ compensation fraud is handled by Illinois law and authorities.
St. Louis Workers’ Compensation Lawyers at Brown & Brown Attorneys at Law
If you have suffered a workplace injury and are preparing to file a workers’ compensation claim – or if you are currently battling an insurer for workers’ comp benefits, contact Brown & Brown Attorneys at Law. Since 1993, our St. Louis workers’ compensation lawyers have a long-standing commitment to serving our clients, and we are experienced at aggressively defending our clients’ rights in any legal setting. Our goal is to preserve and promote the rights and welfare of individuals and families who have suffered injuries and losses and/or who need help navigating through the complexities of the court system.
Our unwavering dedication to our clients’ rights means that we will work tirelessly to help our clients achieve the best possible outcomes to their cases. One of our primary goals is to help injured workers secure the maximum possible workers’ compensation benefits for their injuries and losses so they can focus on their recovery and future.