Taking pictures of the damage and injuries caused by a car accident and requesting a copy of the police report are some things that drivers should do after a car accident.
Picking up from What You Should Do after a Car Accident (Part 1), the following are some additional helpful tips regarding how drivers who are involved in car accidents can protect their rights while minimizing their liability. In addition to calling the police and reporting the accident to insurance companies, drivers involved in car accidents should also:
- Stay at the scene of the accident until police arrive and inform you that it’s OK for you to leave.
- Take pictures of their injuries and/or the damage to their car (with most modern cellphones being equipped with cameras, taking pictures of the car accident damage can typically be done pretty easily).
- Take down the other driver’s (or drivers’) name(s), contact information and insurance information,
- Write notes about the accident as they remember it occurring and try to take down the names and contact information of all witnesses involved.
- Request a copy of the official police report from the officers who respond to the accident.
Drivers should NOT, however, admit to fault in the accident when speaking to police, and they should defer any calls from other drivers’ insurance companies to their insurance agent and/or car accident lawyer.
St. Louis Car Accident Lawyers
If you have been involved in a car accident and you believe another driver was to blame, contact the St. Louis car accident lawyers at Brown & Brown Attorneys at Law. We have a long-standing commitment to serving our clients, and we are experienced at aggressively defending our clients’ rights in any legal setting. Our goal is to preserve and promote the rights and welfare of individuals and families who have suffered injuries and losses and/or who need help navigating through the complexities of the court system.
Since 1993, our lawyers have been successfully representing our clients in various areas of personal injury litigation, including car accident lawsuits. Our unwavering dedication to the pursuit of justice in every case we handle means that we will work relentlessly to help our clients achieve the best possible outcomes to their cases. For a free initial consult, email us using the form at the right-hand side of the screen and/or to call us at 573-333-3333 for our Missouri office or at 618-888-8888 for our Illinois office.